Friday, March 14, 2008

And we're off! Love from Austin


Well friends and family, the time is HERE! Up to this point, the trip has been a long lived day dream and now it's about to become reality. It's been so wonderful spending time with each of you individually. We deeply cherish those moments and will think of you often. I have pictures of all of you on my iPod which will come in handy if I start feeling homesick. We set off early Monday for a 26 hour flight. We arrive in Bangkok to be reunited with our friend Johnny whose been teaching English and expanding his photography portfolio there for about a year.

We imagine that we will stay in the city for a few days and then head south to the lovely Thai beaches. There we will find small village towns with turquoise water, incredible sea life, warm temperatures and friendly faces. I've read about a place where we can find elephants playing soccer! At this point, everything is imaginary and I know that there is no way to fully prepare myself for all that we are about to experience.

I've come to realize over the past few weeks that I am a person of familiarity. I've always held my treasures near to me and I feel comfortable in the presence of my friends, family, and yes Little Bear. Very soon I will be standing in the street of a completely unfamiliar place where I can not read or speak. This will be the longest I've been apart from home. I've tried to soak in the feeling of being near all of you and remember how that feels. I know now that I must carry that confidence in my heart in order to unearth my true self. No matter where I am, I am me. I intend to allow my mind to be stretched beyond it's boundaries...

I'm eager about the reality of immersing myself in a culture which I know very little about but have a strong desire to become aquainted with. There is so much to learn; new tastes and smells to encounter, new religions to explore, new languages and customs to partake in. I appreciate this rare opportunity and will do my best to experience each occasion to it's fullest potential.

My goal for this journey is to find my awareness and proceed with clarity.


Love from Austin~
Loranda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

we're gonna have a blast!

Anonymous said...

Have tons of fun! Take lots of pictures! Can't wait to see you guys when you get home!

Sanna said...

I will miss you guys!! It is going to be fun to hear about the different places you will go, and all of the fun & crazy adventures you will get into.

Lytle said...

I hope to read about your experiences often! Can't wait to hear them when you get back too. I wish you both all the best.

Anonymous said...

Loranda, You have a wonderful experience. Enjoy yourself just dont take anything from anyone acoss the border. Be careful and I hope to hear about all your travels when you return. I love you so you take care of yourself.

Cuz'n Paul

Anonymous said...

My Precious Loranda,
I always tried to raise you to be kind, honest, hard working and adventurous. You are all of these things and so much more. I hope you and Alex have an amazing adventure and bring home many memories to share. Thank you for spending your time with me before you left, it meant the world to me. I am so glad we can communicate because I will miss you for 100 days! I love you to the moon and back.
Godspeed,
Mom