Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 2- Cumpleaños de Ricardo Bueno

Jet lag from West to East is a doozie. With a 7 hour time difference, it took several days for me to adjust.

I was faced with the opportunity to eat fresh Sardines. Although I try to be open minded about trying new foods, I'm not a fan of anything with a head and eyes on it, so luckily these came in an eatable form for me! Pam demonstrated how to eat them, and since it was "Pam approved," I felt at ease :)  I've now come to realize that just about anything tastes good with fresh lemon squeezed on top! First you take a few nibbles then peel back the bones from the top end and remove them. You can even eat the tail if you choose.

For the main course we shared Almejas de Carril which are large clams specifically from Carril, Spain. They are prepared with a white wine lemon garlic oil. I also found another favorite dish, Gambas a Pil Pil which are shrimp in a delicious chili oil. Both sauces are amazing! Perfect for dipping your fresh bread in!

After a relaxing nap on the beach, we began the birthday festivities for Richard. Grant had a bottle of nice cava delivered to the beach. What a nice way to celebrate!


I am managing things at work while I'm out so I started the weekday routine of logging on to wifi and taking care of business. I was able to get enough done in a two hour window- my early evening, their afternoon. I was very fortunate to be able to travel so checking in once a day was a fair compromise. Kronox Cafe in the main square has "tankes" of beer, tapas with Spanish olives and Manchego cheese, free wifi, and lots of people watching available. Not too shabby! I absolutely LOVE tapas! It's a small portion and perfect for a light meal or snack. Bliss!
For the birthday dinner, we went to the top rated restaurant in Nerja- Sollun. It was probably the best dining experiences I have ever had. Not only was every bite irresistible, but Chef Juan Quintanilla adds a personal touch to the experience. He passionately describes his recommendations and will even bring out the cut of meat and illustrates how he will prepare it. The restaurant is quaint with maybe 8 tables, and he and his wife walk you through each step of the meal. He personally takes your order, rushes back to the kitchen, and hand delivers a delicious work of art on each plate. He is quickly on his way to a Michelin Star.



No comments: